While most people must finance, in order to be able to purchase a home, there are some who have the funds, to make a cash deal . It might be that the property is relatively inexpensive, they are down – sizing, have recently sold another house, or have lots of other liquid assets. While some may counsel to reduce debt, and in most forms of debt in Logan Utah 84321, I would agree, there are many reasons this advice does not apply to a home loan, or mortgage. Let’s review 5 advantages of carrying a mortgage, while realizing the major reason not to, is reducing one’s monthly carrying charges/ fixed expenses.
1. Opportunity cost of money: Many have heard this expression, but fail to fully realize what it means, or don’t believe it applies to them. Ask yourself, might it make more sense, to maintain one’s funds, and invest them separately, and take out a mortgage. Especially today, when mortgage interest rates still remain close to historic lows, borrowing permits one to purchase more house than he might otherwise be able to. In addition, might it not make sense, to diversify one’s portfolio in Logan Utah 84321, and position himself for a brighter financial future? Many factors might impact this decision, including: one’s comfort zone; future plans; age; personal situation; expectations; and anticipated future needs. However, it is important to keep in mind this essential, opportunity cost of money!
2. Cash flow: If you are paying 4.5% as your mortgage rate, and effectively paying quite a bit less because of tax considerations, and you believe you can, over time, generate more from your investments, doesn’t a mortgage make sense. If you aren’t sure, you can always make a larger downpayment, or add additional principal paybacks to your monthly payment, and still enjoy some of the benefits.
3. Tax deductible/ tax advantages: Mortgage interest is tax deductible, and thus costs you considerably less than any other form of loan. Reduce your other debts with higher, non – deductible interest, while carrying a mortgage. If you are in the 30% tax bracket, for example, your effective interest rate on a 4.5% mortgage is only 3.15%, etc.
4. Escrow: When you have a mortgage, most lending institutions will also charge and keep an escrow account, in order to pay the real estate taxes, insurance, etc. You won’t have to worry about remembering to make a real estate tax payment, and getting a late charge/ penalty, because the loaner will pay this out of your account. And. your escrow account will even receive dividends on the balance in Logan Utah 84321.
5. You can pre – pay: Many ask if they should carry a 30 – year or, for example, a 15 – year mortgage period. My suggestion for most, is to take out the longer – term, so you have the ability to pay the lower amount monthly, but make additional principal payments (e.g. add $100 per payment), to reduce the payback period. There is no pre – payment penalty for the vast majority of mortgages!
Understand mortgages, and your mortgage options, from the onset in Logan Utah 84321. Do what makes the most sense for you!
Surrounding Areas In Utah
Video: Mortgages in Logan UT
Homes.com has 130 properties for sale in Logan, Utah. Search real estate, houses for sale and MLS listings in Logan, UT. Research properties, Logan neighborhoods ...
Buy. 84321 homes for sale . Homes for sale; Foreclosures; For sale by owner; Open houses; New construction; Coming soon; Recent home sales; All homes; Logan homes for ...
Zillow has 15,754 homes for sale in Utah. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place.
MoneyGeek.com helps you make financial decisions. Learn about types of credit cards, compare home loans, find info about the best car insurance coverage, and more.
Homes.com has 102 real estate listings in Grantsville. Browse real estate, houses for sale, and MLS listings in Grantsville, UT. Research properties, neighborhoods ...
Mortgages. Cache Valley Bank offers a variety of products for long-term residential financing. Whether you want to purchase an existing home, build a new one, or ...
Utah State University Housing provides students and parents with the positive experience they deserve while students take the next step to follow their dreams
Deseret First Credit Union would like to invite you to experience the difference of Deseret First. Come visit us today!
At Utah First Credit Union, we're on your side and will do our best to help fund your new car, home, business, or dream project. Start today...
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,369 (0.6%) Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no ...