While most people must finance, in order to be able to purchase a home, there are some who have the funds, to make a cash deal . It might be that the property is relatively inexpensive, they are down – sizing, have recently sold another house, or have lots of other liquid assets. While some may counsel to reduce debt, and in most forms of debt in Champlain New York 12919, I would agree, there are many reasons this advice does not apply to a home loan, or mortgage. Let’s review 5 advantages of carrying a mortgage, while realizing the major reason not to, is reducing one’s monthly carrying charges/ fixed expenses.
1. Opportunity cost of money: Many have heard this expression, but fail to fully realize what it means, or don’t believe it applies to them. Ask yourself, might it make more sense, to maintain one’s funds, and invest them separately, and take out a mortgage. Especially today, when mortgage interest rates still remain close to historic lows, borrowing permits one to purchase more house than he might otherwise be able to. In addition, might it not make sense, to diversify one’s portfolio in Champlain New York 12919, and position himself for a brighter financial future? Many factors might impact this decision, including: one’s comfort zone; future plans; age; personal situation; expectations; and anticipated future needs. However, it is important to keep in mind this essential, opportunity cost of money!
2. Cash flow: If you are paying 4.5% as your mortgage rate, and effectively paying quite a bit less because of tax considerations, and you believe you can, over time, generate more from your investments, doesn’t a mortgage make sense. If you aren’t sure, you can always make a larger downpayment, or add additional principal paybacks to your monthly payment, and still enjoy some of the benefits.
3. Tax deductible/ tax advantages: Mortgage interest is tax deductible, and thus costs you considerably less than any other form of loan. Reduce your other debts with higher, non – deductible interest, while carrying a mortgage. If you are in the 30% tax bracket, for example, your effective interest rate on a 4.5% mortgage is only 3.15%, etc.
4. Escrow: When you have a mortgage, most lending institutions will also charge and keep an escrow account, in order to pay the real estate taxes, insurance, etc. You won’t have to worry about remembering to make a real estate tax payment, and getting a late charge/ penalty, because the loaner will pay this out of your account. And. your escrow account will even receive dividends on the balance in Champlain New York 12919.
5. You can pre – pay: Many ask if they should carry a 30 – year or, for example, a 15 – year mortgage period. My suggestion for most, is to take out the longer – term, so you have the ability to pay the lower amount monthly, but make additional principal payments (e.g. add $100 per payment), to reduce the payback period. There is no pre – payment penalty for the vast majority of mortgages!
Understand mortgages, and your mortgage options, from the onset in Champlain New York 12919. Do what makes the most sense for you!
Surrounding Areas In New York
Video: Mortgages in Champlain NY
Tucked in the Champlain Valley between the Adirondack Mountains of New York and the Green Mountains of Vermont, Lake Champlain is a natural, freshwater, glacial lake ...
The State of New York does not imply approval of the listed destinations, warrant the accuracy of any information set out in those destinations, or endorse any ...
Located on the shores of Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield is a picturesque Adirondack town.
MarketWatch and the Center for Financial Literacy at Champlain College convened a panel of experts recently on the Champlain College campus in Burlington, Vermont, to ...
New York: Learning the Layout. New York state encompasses an area of 54,555 square miles (141,299 kilometers) with a population numbering around 20,000,000 in 2009.
Zillow has 24,446 homes for sale. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place.
Joyce Mitchell, who helped two convicted murders escape from New York prison, sentenced to up to seven years in prison.
Community Bank, N.A. offers personal banking, business banking, and wealth management services with several locations throughout NY and PA.
National Union Bank Of Kinderhook -1 Hudson Street, Kinderhook, NY 12106 Ph: 518.758.7101 Fax: 518.758.6963
NOTICE: This bank is not responsible for and has no control over the content of the web sites that have links here Please contact us with any concerns or comments.