While most people must finance, in order to be able to purchase a home, there are some who have the funds, to make a cash deal . It might be that the property is relatively inexpensive, they are down – sizing, have recently sold another house, or have lots of other liquid assets. While some may counsel to reduce debt, and in most forms of debt in Stockbridge Massachusetts 01262, I would agree, there are many reasons this advice does not apply to a home loan, or mortgage. Let’s review 5 advantages of carrying a mortgage, while realizing the major reason not to, is reducing one’s monthly carrying charges/ fixed expenses.
1. Opportunity cost of money: Many have heard this expression, but fail to fully realize what it means, or don’t believe it applies to them. Ask yourself, might it make more sense, to maintain one’s funds, and invest them separately, and take out a mortgage. Especially today, when mortgage interest rates still remain close to historic lows, borrowing permits one to purchase more house than he might otherwise be able to. In addition, might it not make sense, to diversify one’s portfolio in Stockbridge Massachusetts 01262, and position himself for a brighter financial future? Many factors might impact this decision, including: one’s comfort zone; future plans; age; personal situation; expectations; and anticipated future needs. However, it is important to keep in mind this essential, opportunity cost of money!
2. Cash flow: If you are paying 4.5% as your mortgage rate, and effectively paying quite a bit less because of tax considerations, and you believe you can, over time, generate more from your investments, doesn’t a mortgage make sense. If you aren’t sure, you can always make a larger downpayment, or add additional principal paybacks to your monthly payment, and still enjoy some of the benefits.
3. Tax deductible/ tax advantages: Mortgage interest is tax deductible, and thus costs you considerably less than any other form of loan. Reduce your other debts with higher, non – deductible interest, while carrying a mortgage. If you are in the 30% tax bracket, for example, your effective interest rate on a 4.5% mortgage is only 3.15%, etc.
4. Escrow: When you have a mortgage, most lending institutions will also charge and keep an escrow account, in order to pay the real estate taxes, insurance, etc. You won’t have to worry about remembering to make a real estate tax payment, and getting a late charge/ penalty, because the loaner will pay this out of your account. And. your escrow account will even receive dividends on the balance in Stockbridge Massachusetts 01262.
5. You can pre – pay: Many ask if they should carry a 30 – year or, for example, a 15 – year mortgage period. My suggestion for most, is to take out the longer – term, so you have the ability to pay the lower amount monthly, but make additional principal payments (e.g. add $100 per payment), to reduce the payback period. There is no pre – payment penalty for the vast majority of mortgages!
Understand mortgages, and your mortgage options, from the onset in Stockbridge Massachusetts 01262. Do what makes the most sense for you!
Surrounding Areas In Massachusetts
Video: Mortgages in Stockbridge MA
Lee Bank is an independent full service bank, serving the people and businesses of Lee, Great Barrington, Stockbridge, Pittsfield, and surrounding areas of Massachusetts.
Looking for current mortgage rates? Compare interest rates for mortgage products at Interest.com, the authority on home loan rates.
Income and Loan Limits for MassHousing Mortgages Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency TEL: 617.854.1000 FAX: 617.854.1091 One Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02108 VP: 866 ...
Homes.com Berkshire County MA Real Estate: Search homes for sale and MLS listings in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Local information: 1527 houses for sale, 86 ...
NETR Online • Massachusetts Public Records, Search Massachusetts Records, Massachusetts Property Tax, Massachusetts Property Search, Massachusetts Assessor
A comprehensive directory of historic houses and homes in Massachusetts.
The Berkshire Middle District Registry of Deeds has an office in Pittsfield and its records are comprised of the City of Pittsfield and the Towns of Becket, Dalton ...
A comprehensive directory of historical sites in Massachusetts.
Barnstable Established 2 June 1685 from Plymouth County Registry of Deeds 3195 Main Street PO Box 368 Barnstable, MA 02630 (508) 362-7733 (508) 362-5065 (FAX)
Providing a broad array of banking services - from mortgages and business loans to checking accounts and CD's. Member FDIC. Member DIF. EHL. Additional locations: 111 ...