While most people must finance, in order to be able to purchase a home, there are some who have the funds, to make a cash deal . It might be that the property is relatively inexpensive, they are down – sizing, have recently sold another house, or have lots of other liquid assets. While some may counsel to reduce debt, and in most forms of debt in Dauphin Pennsylvania 17018, I would agree, there are many reasons this advice does not apply to a home loan, or mortgage. Let’s review 5 advantages of carrying a mortgage, while realizing the major reason not to, is reducing one’s monthly carrying charges/ fixed expenses.
1. Opportunity cost of money: Many have heard this expression, but fail to fully realize what it means, or don’t believe it applies to them. Ask yourself, might it make more sense, to maintain one’s funds, and invest them separately, and take out a mortgage. Especially today, when mortgage interest rates still remain close to historic lows, borrowing permits one to purchase more house than he might otherwise be able to. In addition, might it not make sense, to diversify one’s portfolio in Dauphin Pennsylvania 17018, and position himself for a brighter financial future? Many factors might impact this decision, including: one’s comfort zone; future plans; age; personal situation; expectations; and anticipated future needs. However, it is important to keep in mind this essential, opportunity cost of money!
2. Cash flow: If you are paying 4.5% as your mortgage rate, and effectively paying quite a bit less because of tax considerations, and you believe you can, over time, generate more from your investments, doesn’t a mortgage make sense. If you aren’t sure, you can always make a larger downpayment, or add additional principal paybacks to your monthly payment, and still enjoy some of the benefits.
3. Tax deductible/ tax advantages: Mortgage interest is tax deductible, and thus costs you considerably less than any other form of loan. Reduce your other debts with higher, non – deductible interest, while carrying a mortgage. If you are in the 30% tax bracket, for example, your effective interest rate on a 4.5% mortgage is only 3.15%, etc.
4. Escrow: When you have a mortgage, most lending institutions will also charge and keep an escrow account, in order to pay the real estate taxes, insurance, etc. You won’t have to worry about remembering to make a real estate tax payment, and getting a late charge/ penalty, because the loaner will pay this out of your account. And. your escrow account will even receive dividends on the balance in Dauphin Pennsylvania 17018.
5. You can pre – pay: Many ask if they should carry a 30 – year or, for example, a 15 – year mortgage period. My suggestion for most, is to take out the longer – term, so you have the ability to pay the lower amount monthly, but make additional principal payments (e.g. add $100 per payment), to reduce the payback period. There is no pre – payment penalty for the vast majority of mortgages!
Understand mortgages, and your mortgage options, from the onset in Dauphin Pennsylvania 17018. Do what makes the most sense for you!
Surrounding Areas In Pennsylvania
Video: Mortgages in Dauphin PA
Credit Union membership for Perry, Dauphin and Cumberland County, PA including Harrisburg, Camp Hill and York, Pennsylvania. Save with CU Loans, Mortgages, Savings ...
Browse 24 homes for sale in Dauphin at Homes.com. Research real estate, houses for sale, and MLS listings in Dauphin, PA. Get property, neighborhood, school, Dauphin ...
Appraisal & Auction specialists in Central PA, FHA certified.
Get the latest Lower Dauphin high school boys soccer news, rankings, schedules, stats, scores, results, athletes info, and more at PennLive.com.
ABC 27 has reported a temporary evacuation of a Walmart store in Dauphin County. According to the report, shoppers say they were ordered out of the store this morning ...
Upcoming Events. AmeriChoice is happy to be a part of Central PA and is dedicated to giving back to the community we serve. Throughout the year, AmeriChoice Federal ...
Get the latest Central Dauphin high school football news, rankings, schedules, stats, scores, results, athletes info, and more at PennLive.com.
Home for rent at 230 Franklin St, PA 17109 for $1,995 per month. $1,995 # 930087 - 15 photos - 3 bedrooms - 3 bathrooms - 1440 sq. ft. - Year Built: 0 - 230 Franklin ...
Zillow has 552 homes for sale in Harrisburg PA. View listing photos, review sales history, and use our detailed real estate filters to find the perfect place.
Dauphin County firefighter Andrew Dresher makes one of the best chilis in the nation. Unfortunately, he wasn't the ultimate winner in Hormel Chili America's Best ...